If you’d like to receive regular updates on the Whio Forever project let us know at email@example.com
But before all that, here’s what you need to know about helping the whio when you’re outdoors.
When you are outdoors there are some simple steps you can take to protect New Zealand’s native Whio:
- Whio may seem tame and unafraid but in order to keep them safe, people should give them space and watch them from a distance.
- Keep the waterways and the river environment clean.
- When camping or picnicking remember to take out what you bring in.
- Observe guidelines for keeping the waterways free from didymo. Click here to find out more about didymo.
- Leave your dogs at home when visiting waterways where Whio populations live or keep them on a leash.
- Support riparian planting and waterway protection in your area.
You can also help the Whio (Blue Duck) by reporting all sightings to the Department of Conservation.